Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chapter 6: "The Bottom Line"

Chapter 6: "The Bottom Line"

Dannah begins this chapter with how this call-in teen show was talking about modesty. This girl called in named Jamie and she was trying to state her opinion and her opinion was that if "you're wearing pants too tight and a creepy guy comes up to you, just pray and that guy will go away.'' But the host Sarah had to correct her, you can't call on God when you're in trouble, you should call on Him before you even put those clothes on when you were in the mirror looking at yourself. You should ask is this what God would want me to wear? Sarah then realizes Jamie knows all about God but does not maintain a relationship with Him, and she gets saved on this call-in show!

Dannah compares Jamie's stubbornness to modesty to her own. Along with ours. She goes on to tell us that if we are aggravated by all this ''modesty'' talk, that its a love problem, not a modesty problem. Because when we love the Lord, we want to obey Him and obeying Him would mean his guidelines might be hard to follow, but you still follow them, because its about you loving Him. John 14:21 says "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." Everything in His plan for you life is for the purpose of blessing you, so obey Him!

Review of what God desires for you from each chapter:

1. Modesty is a delicate yet formidable power that God has given you.
2. God's intended purpose for you as a carefully crafted masterpiece is to ''intoxicate'' one man with the fullest extent of your beauty.
3. Since immodesty creates arousal in many men, it misses the mark of God's intended purpose for you. It's not just fashion, it's a sin.
4. The allure of immodesty is not in what is seen but what is not seen. Modesty issues a challenge for one man to romantically earn your virtue.
5. A girl's modesty is first noted by her external presentation, but if it's not followed by the confidence of internal modesty, she still forfeits the power of her virtue.
6. Modesty is possible if you truly love God. When you love Him, you will be able to obey Him in the way that you dress.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 "I also want women to dress modestly ... not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God."

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

Deuteronomy 6:20-21 " In the future, when your son asks you, 'What is the meaning of the ... laws the Lord our God has commanded you?' tell him ... 'The Lord commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the Lord our God, so that we might always prosper.'"

God loves us and desires to see us happy and He knows that the best path to a truly blessed marriage is the path of modesty. So do you love Him? If God wrote you a love letter, it would sound a little like this:

"My Precious Masterpiece,
Have the bad-hair days and hormones gotten the worst of you? Oh, if only you could see how brilliant a masterpiece you are.
I couldn't wait for you to arrive. You! Yes, you! I've anticipated your presence on My earth before it was even created.
Like a master embroiderer sits at his loom painstakingly interweaving each unique strand, I knit you together piece by piece with intention and precision. You are one of the unique expressions of My own glory. I chose the color of your hair from the earth and the color of your eyes from the brilliance of My skies. I even placed My thumb there on your nose, marking it with My fingerprint.
After you were made in secret, I revealed you to this world with still the most profound parts of your beauty waiting to be crafted. Still, I am creating you in secret, My masterpiece.
Though the full secrets of your beauty are unknown to the world, I see. And I am enthralled by your beauty.
Oh, how I love you.
There have been only two places on earth that I have been willing to fill with My own radiant glory - the old temple ... and you! That's how precious your body is to Me.
Will you honor Me with it?
Will you love Me back?
Your Master Craftsman, Jesus"

This letter was written using Ephesians 1:4-7; Psalm 139:13-16; Psalm 45:11-14; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.

Now its your turn, write a love letter to God telling Him how you're going to honor Him through modesty. Use all of the six review statements to re-word and tell Him how you're going to obey Him. This should be a personal creed to enable you to access the power of modesty.

Everyone who reads this:

I would like for you to post anonymous love letters, you can choose to only write from one or all six of the reviews, but I encourage you to post them as a comment on my blog. Everyone that you write, I will pray over them continuously. I encourage you to do this for God. If you do not feel comfortable doing it on here then do it in a journal. If you're not afraid to post who you are and proclaim your boldness for God then post it with your name. But I do encourage you to write a love letter to your God.

3 comments:

Peter Davidson said...

Jesus said, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

Yea, come unto Christ -- come and see!

http://wetestifyofchrist.blogspot.com/

Nicole said...

Thanks. I'll definitely come check out your blog

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.